What is Good Neighbors?
Good Neighbors is a 501 (c) (3) community ministry. Our mission is to help lift our Blount County neighbors out of a temporary crisis. Good Neighbors provides resources to maintain and/or increase the ability of our neighbors to cope with the challenges of everyday life. We do this in an atmosphere of love and respect, building partnerships through which Christ’s love can grow and by advocating for social justice within Blount County. Good Neighbors is funded by local area churches, individuals, BCEAC, United Way and other civic groups.
Good Neighbors provides support through:
● Listening and problem solving with our neighbors: Many times, a person is able to solve his or her own problem if given the support to do so. Neighbors meet one-on-one with a volunteer coach to assess their situation and possible solutions. Neighbors are always encouraged and supported in their efforts to seek training and education to make a lasting difference.
● Referrals to and networking with other agencies in Blount County, which can be a very difficult and confusing system to navigate alone: GN provides information and encouragement needed by our neighbors to improve their situation. GN is able to advocate to help our neighbors get their needs met.
● Limited financial assistance: When appropriate GN may assist with partial payment of past due bills for life’s basic needs (utilities, rent, etc.)
● Creating a plan for success with each neighbor to help them move toward self sufficiency.
● Follow-up calls to neighbors 2 to 3 months after each visit to check on progress and offer additional resources when helpful.
Good Neighbors was founded in 1996 as a result of an increase in requests for emergency assistance from neighbors in need to local area churches. These churches decided to pool their resources so that they might make a greater impact on those they were serving.